Although pets are likely to stop chewing on toxic plants before it’s too late, you should always keep certain dangerous holiday plants far out of the reach of your dogs and cats! If you are planning on displaying potted plants and flower bouquets in Washington County, NE to decorate for the holiday season and have household pets, you will want to continue reading:
- Poinsettia: The poinsettia plant is an iconic symbol that says that Christmas is here and winter is coming. This plant comes in a variety of colors, but it’s the ones with bright red leaves that we often see used as table centerpieces and mantel decor. While poinsettia plants are not likely to kill your pet, they can definitely cause some nasty stomach upset, like vomiting and nausea, as well as skin rashes and mouth irritation.
- Holly and mistletoe: There are two popular holiday plants that are not so forgiving should your pet happen to munch on them. All plant material, including the stem, leaves and berries on holly and mistletoe, carry high toxicity levels that can result in all sorts of physical issues. Symptoms of mistletoe or holly poisoning start with intestinal upset. Your dog or cat may experience vomiting, diarrhea, terrible abdominal pain and excessive drooling. It’s important to note that these holiday plants are dangerous whether fresh or dried.
- Amaryllis and daffodils: It’s not unusual for home gardeners and plant shops to “force” indoor bulbs over the cooler months. Once established, forced flower bulbs—like amaryllis and daffodils—are potted for indoor holiday display. The leaves and stems are indeed toxic to pets, but these parts of the plant are not as toxic as the actual bulb. Watch for common gastrointestinal issues, like heavy salivation, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors and a decreased appetite.
- Jerusalem cherry: The Jerusalem cherry is as lovely in appearance as its name sounds. However, it is in the nightshade family, and therefore a highly poisonous plant that your pet should never eat—especially the inedible fruit (the cherry). The problem is that the plant’s fruit resembles and tastes similar to a delicious cherry tomato. Soon after ingestion of this extremely toxic plant, your dog, cat or other animal may fall seriously ill.
- Christmas tree: While your real Christmas tree is not likely super toxic, there are other concerns associated with pets eating pine, fir and cedar needles. There’s a possibility that the needles can puncture the stomach lining and GI tract, or too many ingested needles may lead to a bowel obstruction. Also, Christmas tree oils are irritating to pet skin and in and around the mouth.
Don’t ignore the signs and symptoms of a poisoning. If you suspect your pet has eaten any part of one of the above mentioned toxic holiday plants, contact your local veterinarian immediately.
To ensure your pets stay safe this holiday season, give us a call at Country Gardens Blair Florist to find out about the best potted plants and flower bouquets in Washington County, NE that you should order. We are proud to offer in-store pickup and delivery options!