Whether you want to ensure you’re breathing healthy indoor air or you suffer from seasonal allergies, look to household plants to help clear the air all day, every day. Something to remember is that, although dusting, vacuuming, changing air filters and avoiding cleaning products with toxic chemicals are all excellent things to do for healthier air, they don’t remove airborne toxins. This is where indoor potted plants come in.
Not only do plants provide oxygen and eliminate unhealthy, harmful, toxic chemicals like benzene, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde that could be floating around in household air, they also add a touch of nature to the inside of your home. To help you ensure you get the most out of your household plants, let’s take a look at some air improving potted plants available from your local florist in Washington County, NE:
- English Ivy: A great evergreen plant for indoor hanging baskets or climbing up a pole, English ivy helps homes with pets to reduce free floating fecal matter particles in the air. And since formaldehyde is around you more than you may know—such as in some non-organic cleaning products and treatments used on furniture, carpeting and curtains—this plant is good to get for both your home and the office. It may also reduce mold spores while filtering indoor airborne toxins.
- Aloe Vera: Most of us associate aloe vera with injuries like cuts, scrapes, burns and sunburns. That’s the healing power of aloe gel, for sure. But did you know that the plant itself can also improve your breathable air? When you get a potted aloe plant, it filters out benzene—a toxin found in chemical-filled cleaners and paint—from the air. Bonus: aloe plants are easy to grow and require minimal care.
- Chrysanthemum: Also called mums, you can find chrysanthemums as potted plants or available for use in flower arrangements. They aren’t just beautiful—your indoor air quality will also benefit tremendously from these flowers and filter the air of benzene, a harsh chemical found in a variety of paints, household cleaning solutions, plastic products and craft supplies like glue. Put this plant near a sunny window or glass door to maintain its vibrancy.
- Peace Lily: Pretty and easy to care for, peace lilies reduce the mold spore count in indoor spaces by absorbing spores through their leaves. Get a peace lily to place anywhere in your house; consider one for your bathroom to stave off mildew and to absorb unhealthy vapors from acetone, alcohol and other harsh bathroom products. A note to parents with small children and pet owners: this plant can contain a mild level of toxicity if ingested.
- African Violets: You will begin to relax and breathe easier with an African violet by your side. Keep this small plant away from hot direct sunlight and it will reward you by improving the quality of your indoor air, while also neutralizing dangerous chemicals like formaldehyde and trace amounts of carbon monoxide.
At Country Gardens Blair Florist, we specialize in a variety of potted plants for your home or office. Visit the team at your local florist in Washington County, NE for a wide selection of floral and seasonal items from home decor to green and blooming plants and flower arrangements.